2010-12-04

Introducing Oxidized Trinity 6 "Squeeze"

This is something that I have wanted to do for the last week and a half or so, but I haven't been able to do it because I've been really busy.
I said in my review of Debian 6 "Squeeze" Standard that I wanted to customize that installation with Trinity 3.5.12. Well, now it has finally happened: please welcome the newest member of the Oxidized Trinity family, Oxidized Trinity 6 "Squeeze"!
There are a couple differences between this and the original (Kubuntu-based) Oxidized Trinity 10.04, the most significant being that the only way to install Oxidized Trinity 6 is to use the Remastersys installer, and that's not guaranteed to work. Also, Trinity 3.5.12 packs a whole lot more stuff for Debian than for Ubuntu; I didn't even want half the stuff included, but I was too lazy to remove all of it. (This is also why Synaptic Package Manager isn't included (it would consume even more space).) Thankfully, despite that, the Oxidized Trinity 6 ISO file is actually smaller than the Oxidized Trinity 10.04 ISO file. I guess that goes to show just how lightweight and versatile Debian really is. Finally, on that note, I have uploaded this to the Oxidized Trinity SourceForge page; also, here is the direct download link. Please do try this out and let me know what I can improve. Thanks! (Also, stay tuned for a brand-new respin!)

3 comments:

  1. This is great, I myself have recently been thinking about putting together a Trinity based Distro. Mostly because I love KDE 3.5 especially for older hardware. Im finally getting use to KDE4. Unfortunately KDE4 is quite hoggish 'for a lock of better term' & I like to get use out of older equipment. At first I was trying to make the decision over remastering Debian or Ubuntu. I would love to work with you on this project. Shoot me an email - ebp921 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Also I always found it much more satisfying to do a base CLI and install kde-core & work up, instead of installing standard kde install & getting a million packages you dont want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ebp921: Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen an implementation of KDE 4 that was truly light on resources. Mandriva 2010 comes close, though. Also, I tend to make these respins relatively quickly (because I don't have a lot of time these days to do this), but I would love it if you could download the ISOs, try them out, and let me know what can be improved. Most of all, if you like it, please do spread the word to people you know, and feel free to link to this blog and the project page on other sites you frequent! Finally, with regard to package installation, unfortunately Trinity doesn't appear to have a "base" system, so on Debian 6 "Squeeze", one will necessarily have to go the whole hog with installing packages. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete