2012-03-25

Featured Comments: Week of 2012 March 18

There was no "Featured Comments" post last week as there were no comments on the previous week's posts. This past week, there was one post that got a few comments, so I will repost all of those.

Review: Cinnamon 1.4

Reader Sean Lynch said, "This is a great review of Cinnamon. Not finding gnome-terminal in /usr/bin is strange. That's where mine is and I did a standard install of mint 12 from the DVD. Have you tried 'sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal'? I would only disagree with one thing you wrote: 'Cinnamon is a new desktop shell for GNOME 3 that aims to emulate either the standard GNOME 2 desktop or the usual Linux Mint-based GNOME 2 desktop' Reading the Cinnamon site and what Clem has written, I think that this isn't too accurate. I believe that Cinnamon is just an alternate to Gnome 3 shell, not a re-implementation of Gnome 2. Cinnamon will never be an exact clone of Gnome 2, but it will be a better Gnome 3. Gnome 2 left a lot to be desired when it was released. It took over a year for it to get to be reasonably configurable and even then it never was as configurable as Gnome 1.4. I'm hoping that about 1 year from now Cinnamon will be pretty nice. I've been using Cinnamon since 1.1 and the stability has increased amazingly. I think that the releases before 1.4 should have been pre-releases with 1.4 as the first stable release. Now, hopefully, more functionality will come. Thanks again, and good luck finding that terminal!"
An anonymous commenter had this suggestion: "@PV in your reviews can you please check if network-manager , modem-manager & mobile-broadband are included so that if we don't have a hard line or use modems or phones we are not w/o internet".
Another anonymous reader had this hypothesis: "Solusos USB boots if written using unetbootin in Linux. May be you were trying in Virtualbox. I am able to use it and it works great." (It was a good guess, but I wasn't trying to create the live USB system from within a VM.)

Thanks to all those who commented on this past week's posts. This coming week, I am on spring break (and I am back home safely), so I will definitely be free to write stuff, but I can't think of anything that I might write about now, so hopefully I can think of something. In any case, if you like what I write, please continue subscribing and commenting!